This is the old and battered village sign featuring two Red Boars’ Heads
Copyright © Barling Magna Parish Council
Web Design -
Barling Magna is a village and civil parish in Essex, England. The word "Barling" is said to derive from two Saxon words "bar", a boar, and "ing", a meadow.
The Domesday Book of 1086 records the name of Barlinga (Barling), although historical remains and field boundaries found in the area suggests that it may even date back to Roman times.
Situated approximately 4 miles northeast of Southend-
The rural parish includes the hamlets of Barling, Little Wakering, Potton Island and Stonebridge. The word ‘Parish’ in the title ‘Barling Magna Parish Council’ encompasses all of the residents of the above.
Barling lies to the west of Potton Creek, a tributary to the River Roach and is mainly situated along Little Wakering Road, Church Road and Barling Road. Where these roads meet is the village duck pond known as Weir Pond corner.
Opposite the church in Little Wakering stands a terrace of 17th century dormer cottages. This church, dating from the 12th century, was largely rebuilt by John de Wakering, Bishop of Norwich. The Royal Arms of George III are displayed in the tower of the church. He visited in 1769.
The old Blacksmiths Forge next to Peartree Cottages in Barling Road. There used to be two houses behind the forge but they were demolished.
The Women’s Institute/Barling Magna Parish Hall in Little Wakering Road at the junction of Church Road and Barling Road